Alternate File Storage Locations
This series offers tips to help you keep your Fortis system running at top efficiency.Using Alternate File Storage Locations lets you transfer documents from a current Archive directory location to new one to free up space for new files. This article explains how to use the Move Archive and the Move Document File Utilities.
Move Archive Utility
The Move Archive Utility lets you transfer documents from a current Archive directory location to a new location within the same system or network. The Move Archive Utility only affects previously archived documents. All future documents will be placed in the original Archive path, unless that is changed also. This is useful for moving existing documents to a new storage location in order to free up space for new files.
- At a Database Administration Station, open the database whose Archive files you want to move.
- Choose Move Archive from the Tools menu.
- Choose the location of the Archive to move from the drop down list on top.
- Enter the destination directory into which you want to move the Archive documents.
- Select the Include Subfolders check box if you want to move the subdirectories of the archive directory as well.
- Click OK and Fortis moves the selected Archive files and updates the database tables containing location information.
Move Document File Utility
The Move Document File Utility lets you move selected documents to a different Archive Location. This works similarly to the Move Archive Utility with the exception that it works on individual files, rather than an entire Archive directory.
- At a Database Administration Station, run a Query or Browse to find the documents you want to move. Select the specific documents you want to move and choose Move Document File from the File menu.
- Enter Archive Location to which you want to move the selected documents.
- Click OK. Fortis moves documents to the specified Archive location and updates the database tables containing the location information for the selected files.